Thursday, July 12, 2012

Back in the saddle again...

A friend on Facebook wants to get back in shape, and is feeling uncomfortable with her looks right now.

you're right - this is more than five!
Read on to find out more...
I can so relate!  Even before i got pregnant with my sixth child, I was avoiding social situations, not getting out of the car to say hi, and tugging at waist lines and shirt lengths, wishing i could lose those extra pounds that had piled on following each child's birth.

It had only been three or so pounds each time, but five children times three pounds equals fifteen pounds, and when i found out i was expecting baby number six, i asked my husband to help me.

He's always been very strong and athletic, playing rugby, hockey, football in college, wrestling, and he had been investigating something called Crossfit.

While T's been interested in a ton of fitness and nutrition fads, this is one that's stuck.  Because it's functional, and it doesn't require a ton of time.  A lot of workouts can be done in only fifteen minutes, and when you are a busy mom to a houseful of littles, fifteen minutes is *almost* doable :) -

Coach T
While Crossfit was one component, running was another.  I've heard that running will help tighten loose skin, and man, i know from loose skin.  Babies do that!  And maybe more to me than to anyone else i know...  So, we took off, with T running slowly behind me, cheering me on and correcting my form.

Then, diet.  Actually, diet started the day i had baby.  Portions were not restricted, but we were in the Zone as much as possible.  As the years went on, and we fell off the wagon, we came back with a vengeance, to the Paleo way of eating, and now we're Paleo/ketogenic.  We are not measuring food, but just eating the things that are "allowed".

I'm nursing our eighth child :) and while i don't think ketosis should be bad for baby (I've read that babies are actually in ketosis naturally, as breastmilk is high fat, high protein and low carb), i do tend to avoid being in ketosis, eating a fruit if i cross the line...

this is maybe the only "before" shot i have right now.... me and baby 8!  Nine days after her birth...

So... here we go - for Jennifer, for me, and for anyone else who has a busy family, but a desire for more energy and less to love  in the waistline!  There are posts here already, and a few websites to get started are:

http://nomnompaleo.com/
(delicious food ideas!)

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
 (miscellaneous keto stuff)

www.marksdailyapple.com
(fitness and diet recommendations - linked above!  Also, really impressive before/afters!)

www.crossfit.com
(exercise workouts - don't panic!  Coach T will scale workouts for moms like me :))

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums
(workout of the day (WOD) - also workouts scaled for kids - i know i had three little workout partners the day before yesterday - they make me work HARD!  You feel embarrassed to let a four year old best you in squats :)...)


No comments:

Post a Comment