Thursday, October 22, 2009

Unfaithful woman, faithful man

So, T has been sweet to me, even taking me out to Marble Slab for ice cream (and he didn't have even a lick...)... But he's still on the paleo wagon, and i'm feeling like i'm almost ready for another try. He thinks there is a point at which your body gives up and just starts using what you're giving it, and if i try again, maybe i will break past that point.
I do know that while i was eating paleo, i didn't lose any weight on the scale, BUT i did feel good inside, and i think i lost fat (because none of my dresses fit anymore, and some of my pants are too big, too. Plus my tummy is flatter...)

ANYWAY... this blog isn't quite dead.

One of my friends asked "What did you eat, anyway?"
Well, i think maybe we were a little unprepared, because while we can eat all meat, veggies, fruits and nuts and seeds, (well, almost all) - we didn't plan very well in terms of combining those things. So i'd cook a turkey and we'd have turkey meat, with a side of veggies.

I've been reading at Son of Grok and realizing that there are a lot more creative ways to eat your food than a few ounce of this, and a few ounces of that. One weird meal that appealed to me from his website was ground beef (spiced, with veggies), mixed with guacamole.

I think the hardest part of paleo for me was feeling like i was missing out. We'd make roast beef dinner, but i couldn't have mashed potatoes or yorkshire pudding (and i love yorkshires!). We'd have meat, au jus, and vegetables and/or salad. And i felt like i was missing something.

I think i need to find some new "favourite" meals that aren't an "old favourite minus"...

So, more research coming up, and hopefully some pictures and recipes... T is still doing a lot of cooking. Tonight we had jerk pork - the children and I had white buns from the bakery :) - but T just had meat. I'm not that hardcore. But i do have avocados, and they go a long way toward staving off the "i'm missing out" feeling...

OH, and T is looking great - he didn't have much fat to lose, but his midsection is looking very nice :) and he's still feeling great eating this way...

4 comments:

  1. You can do some pretty creative cooking on a paleo diet...Including desserts and baked good.
    You should check SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) websites & blogs too. They use almond flour (but you can use other nut & seed flours) to make bread and baked goods.
    They're nutritious & tasty and you won't feel deprived. I recommend 1 particular blog: Elana's Pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alchemille!
    I will check out Elana's Pantry! And i just ordered 20 lbs of almonds so i can make some of those yummy desserts :)...
    I will be looking for more ideas - so any other links you have to share are *very* appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other blogs/websites that might be useful to you:
    Mark's daily apple (since you know SOG you probably already know this one), grain free foodies, paleofood.com, pecanbread, scdrecipe. com, the spunky coconut, straight into bed and cakefree, caveman food, paleo rainy, paleo chef, paleo-zone.

    Note that the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) uses yogurt. I don't know how strict of a paleo eater you are, I do raw dairy.

    Then there are cookbooks, but it's another story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWesome! Thanks, Alchemille! I need all the help i can get :) - we're going really well lately with one cheat day a week - i'm also using a lot of probiotics which seem to help me digest everything a little easier...
    Dh is avoiding dairy except for protein powder (quick breakfasts), and i'm avoiding it as well except on cheat days :)...

    ReplyDelete