Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day Five... i was barely alive - but saved by gourmet cooking!

In Canada, Thanksgiving happens a little earlier than in the States. I'm blessed to have two sisters and their husbands and thirteen (between them) little nieces and nephews (actually, one is a teenager, so maybe i should quit calling them little, but anyway...) - And our plan is to get together for Thanksgiving. This is the default plan. If my mom and dad come, we are happy and blessed - but we live within 3 hours of each other (my parents live much farther away), and we *can* do this right now in this season of life, so we are.

And i'm in charge of..... cookies.

Yikes!

I thought the other day was hard. Today i started by making muffins, only to realize we were *all* out of milk - so i left the half made muffins, grabbed all the children, making sure we all had shoes and jackets and took off in the frosty air to the nearest Tim Horton's - but not before downing two fried eggs.

So virtuous me watched the children eat bagels with cream cheese and doughnuts and hot chocolate, and didn't even so much as lick off my fingers after i dipped in the hot chocolate to make sure Uly wouldn't burn his mouth (again) and after someone smeared glaze on my hand...

Then, errands and groceries for my big cook.

I actually really like it when i have an excuse to stay in the kitchen all day. But man, it is hard making all verboten items.

I have two big boxes upstairs filled with rice krispie treats, brownies, snickerdoodles and monster cookies and i'm done cooking - My plan was to sew half the day too (new ergo for my sister who is expecting) but i will have to finish that project later, as we won't have time to finish it before we go - i don't think).

anyway, thoughts on paleo...

I do feel that it's getting easier and easier for me to say no - but part of that is that i'm just feeling really really wiped. And dozy. And lightheaded. I forgot to go to my fiddle club meeting last night (and i love playing with other people!) - i felt like passing out all the time yesterday and today i just felt like a dead person. No emotions, no desires, no energy. Going to bed was my big fantasy all day long.

T came home and was going to swoop down and take me out for dinner, but we couldn't find a place that wasn't crowded or expensive or too carb oriented, so we went by the grocery store and bought some frozen pizza for the littles, and shrimp and cauliflower for us.

And T made a masterpiece!

So just to recap - breakfast - two fried eggs
lunch - one piece of cold KFC, no skin, a pear, some hazelnuts
snack - a pear
dinner.....

THIS!





T will write out the recipe for me here, since i didn't make this.

Bouillabaisse

Blenderize a can of diced tomatoes with a four cloves of garlic, oregano and thyme. Add a bag of shrimp, shells on - a can of clams and a can of smoked oysters.

Reserve half the liquid from the clams to add to the bouillabaisse. Salt and pepper to taste. Slow cook on a simmer till you're ready to eat...

Cook cauliflower as usual and serve as a "pasta" with the sauce and seafood...
mmmmmm....

And then for dessert - frozen raspberries, chopped almonds, drizzled with honey...


No comments:

Post a Comment