Sunday, November 8, 2009

Tentative Paleo solutions...

Well, here i am again. I know this blog hasn't been regularly updated, which is kind of indicative of my commitment to the paleo diet :)

While i do think the foods list help to make me feel better, healthier, less bloated - i have problems with the whole "caveman" concept - It says in the Bible that Cain (Adam's son) brought grain to offer to God (and it wasn't good enough, so maybe there is the backup for paleo right there in the Bible!) - so i guess they had grain from the beginning...

Anyway, T is still really loving this way of eating - he's lost 25 lbs since the summer and is pretty ripped... And i want to help him and make him happy...

so finally i had some time to write out seven paleo breakfasts, lunches and dinners - and an accompanying grocery list. That way, when i go grocery shopping, i will have everything i need to make paleo foods all week long...

T's come up with some delicious paleo meals, too - and we are loving the cookies we found a recipe for on Paleo Mama's blog - they are so rich and delicious - they aren't really like cookies at all, something better and dark and full of texture and mmmmm mouth feel...



Anyway, I thought i'd post my list here, and if anyone has substitutions, other ideas, variations - i'd love to hear them!

Paleo Breakfasts:

scrambled eggs and salsa
hard boiled eggs and fruit
fried ham and eggs/fruit
protein shake (this isn't really paleo, but T does it. It means i get hot chocolate for breakfast!)
breakfast fruit salad and eggs or meat
breakfast veggie salad and eggs or meat (recipes to follow)
eggs benny sans muffin...

Paleo lunches:

*tuna, apple, and celery salad (with raisins) (dressing : sunflower oil and red wine vinegar) - T also added macadamia nuts and jalapenos and cilantro
*leftover beef and guacamole (this idea was from Son of Grok's website, and i didn't know how good it would be as leftovers - but it is DELICIOUS!) I used the guacamole recipe i usually use, from the Moosewood cookbook
*chicken soup
*bacon brocolli soup (thicken with potato?)
*leftover meat and fruit
*chili
*..... this was tuna melts until T pointed out, no cheese... so i only have six ideas... help!

Paleo dinners:

*beef and guacamole grande:)
*chimichurri pork and mashed cauliflower (T added coconut oil, saffron, and salt - it was delicious)
*dry rubbed roast beef and spaghetti squash
*baked chicken quarters and rutabaga
*jerk pork and roasted parsnips with lime mayo
*bacon broccoli soup
*chicken soup with veggies and salad

Paleo extras:

*homemade halvah balls (from the same book)
*nuts
*fruit
*paleo cookies (mmmm)

The problem is, T isn't partial to soups or salads. And my children are huge dairy fans. And i like using baking to fill them up (bread, muffins, dutch babies, pancakes, waffles, biscuits, etc...). I've always thought a good mom knows how to make cookies!

So that's my problem i guess...

I'm cooking for eight or nine people, three times a day, and trying to keep it as paleo as possible. Usually, if i can't keep us all paleo, the children will have something carby, and i will eat leftovers or protein shake... We'll see if a little organization can help me do it this time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! We're back from vacation! I was glad to find this post--I think that is the way I will think/organize about this type of shopping and eating. We only have four kids, but I feel like it's a lot of mental prep on top of the meal prep as I start on this journey. Our kids are super skinny (my husband's side of the family genes) and I won't be cutting their carbs much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonja! Glad you found me again :) - We've got seven children, too - but i'm not really even watching their diet - they are getting far more meat and veggies because that's what i'm making for dinners with my husband, but during the day i often have eggs or leftovers, and i still let them have bread/pasta/ whatever is fast... Depending on my willpower, i'll even bake treats :) - but not if i'm really jonesing :)... too hard!

    I do think it's the mental organization - i have a meal plan that i'm using with a grocery list - i should post it... at least it gives seven ideas for each meal of the day... and you could change it around to account for what your family prefers...

    ReplyDelete